Saturday, February 28, 2009

stay focused & enjoy the results

Although I’m a firm believer that organizing is essential to staying sane, I also realize that it is not as fun or as easy for a lot of people as it is for me…which makes it really tough to get started on a big project. So here are some tips to help you get started on your next big…or small organizing project!


Focus on the results. With any good organizing project, if you’re having trouble getting started, focus on the end result. Think about how good it will feel when you’ve got that project under your belt. Really dwell on that sense of accomplishment. It works! And here’s how I know.

One weekend (not so long ago), I embarked on a project I had put off for a really, really (really) long time: the basement. I went through all the holiday decorations and got rid of a bunch, got rid of anything I hadn’t used in several months and a lot of stuff I was “saving” because I got it for free. (If you know me…you know that I can’t pass up anything that’s free!) Fun? A little big…I know, I’m sick! Rewarding? Beyond words! I can’t even tell you how good it felt to clear out the basement!

It was this feeling of accomplishment (and yes, when you’re doing something you don’t love to do, getting it done is a huge accomplishment!) that got me started and kept me going through the hours and hours of sorting, dumping and organizing. So, if you’re having trouble mustering up the motivation to do some organizing, just think about how great it’s going to feel when you can check it off your list!


Decide where to start. Take a quick tour of your home and make a list of some quick organizing projects. Here are some ideas …

  • Kids closets
  • Junk drawer
  • Bathroom cupboards
  • Mud room
  • Book shelves
  • TV cabinet
  • Pantry
  • Refrigerator or Freezer
  • Car/Vehicle
  • Purse/Wallet
  • Make-up drawer or bin

To create your list, simply walk around your home looking high and low for opportunities to create some order. Then, pick one project that will have a big impact on your space and more importantly, your spirits…and get started!


Gather your supplies. Gather the tools and supplies you’ll need to tackle your project and corral them into one spot. Get a bag for donations, a trash bag, some shoe boxes or other organization tools and labels. This will make it easy to move from room to room, if your project requires it.


Stay focused on the task at hand. As with any other project, staying focused on your organizing project will help you get it checked off your list faster. And while this isn’t always easy to do … you’ll be glad you did. During my basement organizing weekend, there were so many other things to do but, it was important to stay focused on the basement, and see the task through to completion…until it’s done! Define what “done” is, and then focus, focus, focus until you’ve reached done!


Enjoy the results. When you’re finished, sit back and relish in the fruits of your labor. It feels good to create positive change in your environment. Doesn’t it? Drink it in. And enjoy the results.

With many projects, getting started can be the hardest part! But, by focusing on the end results and then really drinking in your success, you will fuel your enthusiasm to take on the next organizing project on your list…next weekend!


For more organizing tips, visit my website: www.andreadekker.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home