Wednesday, February 4, 2009

take some time to reflect

I don't know about you...but I've been really busy lately! I've been running here and there and involved in all the busyness of the beginning of the New Year. Unfortunately, things are going to get even busier once Spring rolls around!
I've been thinking and reading about ways to take some time to relax and reflect because I know it is important...I just never have time!! However, last week, I was at a conference and one of the speakers gave such a great talk about this exact issue...I thought I should share it with you too!

He said that "the keys to finishing well are to take times of renewal." As much as we hate to admit it, we can't do everything...and we certainly can't keeping going and going like the energizer bunny! It does make sense if we think to nature...trees loose their leave and rest all winter long, animals go into hibernation, flowers 'die' and come back to life. Everything truly does have it's season...including us!

So how can we incorporate more "times of renewal" into our daily, weekly, monthly and yearly lives? Here's how:
  1. Divert Daily: a cup of tea, a devotional, a walk around the block...anything to divert your mind
  2. Withdraw Weekly: Take a few hours at the end of the week to get away from your office or your home and do something you love to do.
  3. Meditate Monthly: This could be a day or a weekend...just as long as you have time to let out some of your stress, catch up on some reading, and relax.
  4. Abandon Annually: for at least a week each year, get out of your home and out of your normal schedule and take it easy. Reflect on the months and years behind you and rejuvenate for the year ahead.
I know this might sound impossible to do...but I've been trying it for the last week and it is something I look forward to every day. It might seem selfish or unproductive, but if you spend even a few minutes to refresh and renew your mind, you will probably find that you are more productive when you return to work. You might also find yourself in a better mood too!

Try it this week...let me know what you think!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home