Wednesday, March 11, 2009

set an expiration date

Corporations use the idea of retention dates to determine when to let documents go. Grocery stores call it shelf life. This concept works very well for the stuff in our individual lives as well.

Decide how long you need or want to keep your papers, books, records, clothes, furniture, or whatever. Then tag it with a date, on which you will let it go or replace it (if needed). The tag could be a sticky note, a label or a piece of masking tape.

The next time you come across something past your tagged retention date, you now have permission to be free of it.

It is a good practice to ask yourself: 'How long do I want this thing to be in my life? And, is it earning the space it takes up in my life by helping me live better?'

Answer objectively. Act accordingly.

For more organizing ideas, visit my website: www.andreadekker.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home