Saturday, April 4, 2009

move towards your goals

What if you took just ONE step closer to your goals every single day? Just one.


Let's say your goal is to write a book. Many people have this on their "things to do before I die" lists so I know this resonates with a lot of you.


What is the absolute first step? Decide what to write about. This step looks simple but you need to see if people would read it, if publishing houses would buy it, if there's a market so it will actually sell. So maybe the first two weeks is spent checking all that out. The rest of the month might be outlining the whole book - what do you need to cover, how many chapters?

And then comes the writing. Now if I were coaching you, I'd make you write at least 5 minutes a day because writers WRITE.


To some, that seems like nothing much but 5 minutes a day is 35 minutes a week which is over 2 hours a month, at the very least. And of course, some days just getting those 5 minutes done will be a miracle but other days, you'd spend 30 minutes or more writing easily.


That's exactly what I mean when I say you can make big leaps with just a step a day.


People ask me how I get so many things done and it's because I do exactly this.


Now I will tell you I don't always feel like writing or _______ (fill in whatever you don't like doing) but I do know that it will move me towards my goals.


I have a rule. Every week, I need to do at least one thing to move me towards my goals. This helps me focus on outcomes even when I'm really busy.


Grab a piece of paper and write your own steps for your goal.


Your challenge this week is to take at least ONE step towards your goal this coming week.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home