Sunday, September 6, 2009

tip of the week (9/6/2009





September 6 – September 12, 2009 this week’s "tip of the week" was sent from Kathi, from Chicago, IL


Kathi writes: “I frequently run errands on my lunch hour or stop for takeout on my way home from the office, but would get frustrated when I'd discover that the coupons and receipts I needed were left at home or crumpled up somewhere in my wallet or purse.

To solve this problem I purchased a small photo album from the dollar store. Mine has 20 pages, which is 40 sleeves. I made labels on the computer for the stores I frequently shop at and stuck them on some of the pages, plus I left some pages unlabeled.

I grouped them together logically, such as restaurants, crafts, auto, household and errands (photo pickup, video, dry cleaners, store receipts for items to be returned, etc.).

Now, as soon as I clip something out, I file it in the album. When I drop off photos or dry cleaning, the receipt immediately goes into its designated pocket. No more frantic searches through my wallet at pickup time.

For some of my favorite stores, I make a list on a piece of paper of the items that are on sale in the flyer and file it in one pocket, with the coupons in the opposite pocket. I also keep a list on one page of the clothing sizes of family members.

This album is compact (4 1/2 inches x 6 1/2 inches) and doesn't take up much room in my handbag. It goes everywhere I go, so I am always prepared, even for a spontaneous dinner treat.

And best yet, when the pages get worn or ripped (as they eventually do from constant use), I can easily replace it with another album from the dollar store. A very effective, low cost, low tech solution to a vexing problem!”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do you have an organizing or time management tip that you would like to share? Click here and your tip could be the next one featured in our newsletter, our blog or on our website! For more organizing tips, check out www.andreadekker.com. It is full of great organizing tips for every area of your life.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home